Student Artwork Update: Gregory Mayes

April 5th, 2017

We are pleased to present photographs by SVACE student Gregory Mayes! Gregory created this artwork in conjunction with the course, Digital Photography I.

Photo by Gregory Mayes

Photo by Gregory Mayes

Gregory writes: “I had a realization not long ago while walking the streets of New York – my view of the world had shrunk to a corridor ten feet wide and one story high. I paused a moment to expand my gaze, taking in the vibrant details of urban life that I had allowed to become mundane. It is these details perceived in our periphery – a flicker of reflection, movement of shadow or burst of color – which reaffirm the authenticity of our reality.”

Photo by Gregory Mayes

Photo by Gregory Mayes

“I have attempted to capture these details through this series of photographs. To remove them from context and separate into the basic elements of shape, line and color. To transform into something only seen by our subconscious.”

Photo by Gregory Mayes

Photo by Gregory Mayes

“New York is a city with an enormous gravitational pull – it beckoned me almost five years ago. It draws people from around the world, many wishing to practice alchemy on themselves. It was the same for me, a transmutation that is still taking form. I intend to make gold of that.”

Photo by Gregory Mayes

Photo by Gregory Mayes

See Gregory’s work in our exhibition space at 209 East 23rd Street, until April 30!

Share This!