Student Artwork Update: Carole Katz

September 14th, 2016

We are pleased to present portrait paintings by SVACE student Carole Katz, created in conjunction with the courses, “Realistic Portrait and Figure Painting” with Marvin Mattelson through several semesters.

Painting by Carole Katz

Painting by Carole Katz

Carole writes, “Drawing and painting have always been my greatest passions. I have a BA in English from Binghamton University and a BFA in Interior Design from Centenary College, as well as many years of fine art training. I have studied with master portrait artist Marvin Mattelson at the School of Visual Arts in NYC for several years. I’ve also taken classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC: duCret School of Art in Plainfield, NJ; The Art Students League of NY; The New York Academy of Art and The National Academy of Art.”

“For me, the most interesting and challenging subject in art is the human face. Each person is totally unique and presents a unique and interesting challenge with every new painting. Working to create a 3 dimensional likeness of a person on a 2 dimensional surface such as paper or canvas is the challenge that intrigues me and continues to inspire me.”

“In addition, I’m always inspired by color and patterns that I see around me and I use those inspirations in painting subjects such as still lifes and landscapes. My collage work is a fun way to express my interest in color and pattern.”

See Carole’s work in our exhibition space at 209 East 23rd Street until September 30.  Find more of her work at her website and Marvin Mattelson’s blog.

Share This!